2012 Building Code examinations underway
By HPAC MagazineCooling Heating HPAC General HVAC Systems
Amendment to the Building Code regulation, including load calculations, filed in December 2013.
The 2012 Building Code (O. Reg 332/12) came into force on January 1, 2014. The Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing is updating all qualification examinations to reflect changes to the Building Code. Effective January 1, 2014, anyone qualifying for the first time or qualifying in a new category is required to pass the new 2012 examinations. Individuals who wish to take the new 2012 examinations can submit their applications no less than 21 days before the examination sitting, therefore the first examination sitting under the new 2012 Building Code is scheduled for January 23, 2014. Visit www.ontario.ca/buildingcode for other examination dates. The Building Code Act, 1992 requires that a range of individuals and firms responsible for activities regulated under the Act be qualified and registered. These requirements apply to:
- Building officials, including chief building officials, supervisors, managers, inspectors (including on-site sewage system inspectors and fire protection inspectors) and plans examiners
- Certain classes of designers
- Private companies hired by municipalities to conduct inspections (known as registered code agencies)
- On-site sewage system installers
Building permits applied for on or after January 1, 2014 must comply with the updated requirements of the 2012 Building Code, including new requirements for retirement homes introduced through an amendment in May 2013. Some provisions of the 2012 Building Code have delayed implementation dates and do not come into force in 2014, specifically:
- January 1, 2015 – certain energy efficiency measures;
- January 1, 2016 – re-inspection of on-site sewage systems in certain areas around Lake Simcoe; and,
- January 1, 2017 – new energy efficiency targets.
The full text of the 2012 Building Code (O. Reg. 332/12), can also be viewed free online at E-Laws.
A recent amendment to the Building Code regulation was filed in December 2013 to amend a number of errata in the 2012 Building Code and to add new or updated references to the following technical standards:
- New 2012 CAN/ULC standards for the materials, installation, and design of Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems;
- Updated 2012 CSA standard for heating and cooling load calculations; and
- New CSA and EPA standards for solid fuel-burning appliances.