CIPH Ontario Region announces new board of directors, honours long-serving members
June 4, 2014
The Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating (CIPH) recognized members for years of service in the plumbing and heating industry and introduced the 2014-15 board of directors at the recent Ontario Region business meeting and annual general meeting. The meeting took place on May 29 at the Mississauga Convention Centre in Mississauga, ON, and was attended by 120 CIPH members. In addition to the meeting and usual orders of business, the event featured guest speakers, such as Ezra Levant, host of The Source on Sun News Network, who was promoting his new book Groundswell: The Case for Fracking.
John Gerrard, executive director of Habitat for Humanity Halton, proudly spoke about the 20-year partnership between CIPH and Habitat for Humanity Canada, which has raised more than $10 million in cash and products for the non-profit organization. He noted CIPH and Habitat Halton are working on an affordable housing project in Burlington, ON, to build 13 townhouses and wheelchair-accessible homes. The development will be the largest Habitat Halton has ever built and the largest that CIPH has ever sponsored.
Kevin Ernst, general manager at Oakville Stamping & Bending and chairman of the CSA B125 technical committee, reminded CIPH members that CSA B125.1 and B125.3 low lead standards are now in effect. This means that lead levels must be reduced from 8 to 0.25 per cent for fittings intended for use for human consumption through drinking or cooking (things like garden hoses, not intended for human use, are not affected). Manufacturers also cannot make products that do not meet the new low lead requirements. Ernst also noted the new Ontario Plumbing Code has been released, making the province “one of the leaders in water efficiency in North America.”
Award winners at the Ontario Region meeting included:
- Ken Baker, Desco Plumbing and Heating Supply, received a 50-year service award.
- Alex Simanzik and Joe Willard (Wolseley), Danny Bilous (Emco), Ron Ellis (Anvil), Rudy Vervaet (CCTF) and Paul McDonald (Bradford White Canada), all received lifetime service awards for 40 years or more in the plumbing and heating industry.
- Paul Blaik (Independent Mechanical Supply) and Joshua Young (Canplas Industries) received Young Executive Society (YES) awards.
- Viqua received a new member plaque.
The 2014-15 CIPH Ontario Region board of directors is as follows:
- President: Dennis Costello (Flocor)
- First vice president: Brent Cornelissen (Oakville Stamping and Bending)
- Second vice president: Paul Blaik (Independent Mechanical Supply)
Directors: Steve Board (Bardon Supply), Brain Ruetz (Desco Plumbing and Heating Supply), Tom Newell (Emco), Alain Cote (Marks Supply), Krystal McNaughton (Wolseley Canada), Peter Stojanov (Onward Sales & Marketing), Grant Stuempfle (Bibby Ste-Croix), Joe Drago (Bradford White Canada), Dale Harrison (Heatlink), Hart Heller (Lyncar) and Jerry Fairborn (Moen).
Print this page