NRCan contractor toolkit for sizing/selecting Air Source Heat Pumps
The materials were designed to assist mechanical system designers and renovation contractors with sizing and selecting ASHPs for both new build and retrofit residential applications in Canadian climates.
Natural Resources Canada has developed a free tool kit of materials related to air source heat pump (ASHP) sizing and selection, intended for use by mechanical system designers and contractors.
The three-part tool kit is designed to assist with sizing and selecting ASHPs for both new build and retrofit residential applications in Canadian climates.
The kit includes an ASHP Sizing and Selection Guide and Key Specifications Summary (PDF), the ASHP Sizing and Selection Tool (Excel) and the Addendum of worked examples (PDF).
The 52-page Sizing and Selection Guide covers:
- New home (or major new addition) installations.
- Full heating system replacement where existing HVAC equipment is removed.
- Add-on ASHP applications to displace heating energy or provide supplemental heating where existing heating equipment remains functional.
This Guide covers:
- Ducted and ductless ASHPs
- Single-zone and multi-zone centrally ducted ASHPs
- Single-zone and multi-zone ductless mini-split ASHPs
- Single-zone and multi-zone ducted mini-split ASHPs
- Single stage ASHPs
- Staged and variable-capacity ASHPs
- Cold-climate ASHPs.
Print this page
May 11, 2022