What do the results of Ontario’s review of its microFIT and FIT programs really mean?
March 30, 2012
Following the first review of Ontario’s signature Feed-in-Tariff (FIT) Program, the provincial government announced that it will implement all the recommendations, which include:
- Creating more jobs sooner by streamlining the regulatory approvals process for projects while maintaining the highest environmental protection standards.
- Reducing prices – for solar projects by more than 20 per cent and wind projects by approximately 15 per cent.
- Encouraging greater community and Aboriginal participation through a new priority point system, which will also prioritize projects with municipal support.
- Reserving 10 per cent of remaining capacity for projects with significant participation from local or Aboriginal communities.
- Developing a Clean Energy Economic Development Strategy to leverage Ontario’s significant expertise and strengths to become a global leader in the sector.