Students showcase skills at HVAC competition
By Jillian MorganHVAC Systems
Secondary and post-secondary students showcased their skills in a four-hour HVAC competition during the 2018 Canadian Mechanical and Plumbing Exposition (CMPX).
The Heating Systems Gauntlet, held by the Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI), challenged 23 Southern Ontario students over two days.
Seven secondary school students were tasked with the installation and set-up of a humidifier and thermostat. The winners are:
- First place: Bryce Sellers from Elmira District Secondary School
- Second place: Lucas D’Annibale from College Avenue Secondary School
- Third place: Josh Bigelow from Westlane Secondary School
Sixteen post-secondary students were challenged to install an HRV or ERV, as well as commission a furnace to ensure total functionality. The winners are:
- First place: Calvin Burgess from George Brown College
- Second place: Robert Bratton from Georgian College
- Third place: Zach Hiltz from Centennial College
Other students from these schools participated, as well as students from Central Technical Secondary School, North American Trade Schools (London, ON branch) and HiMark Occupational Institution.
CMPX 2018 brought the industry together in March for a loaded three-day event at the 200,000 square foot Metro Toronto Convention Centre in Toronto, ON. www.hrai.ca www.cmpx.ca