Have your say on NAFTA renegotiation
Canada is holding consultations on the renegotiation of the North American free trade agreement (NAFTA). On May 18, 2017, the United States formally notified Congress of its intention to initiate negotiations related to NAFTA with Canada and Mexico. To prepare for the negotiations, Canada is undertaking a broad consultation process with Canadians.
Engaging with Canadians will be an important factor in informing the Government’s positions and proposals in any renegotiation of NAFTA. It will also serve to determine Canada’s objectives and approach to the negotiations.
Who is invited to participate?
All interested Canadians are invited to share their views or comments on the renegotiation of NAFTA, including:
- Businesses, including small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Civil society organizations and not-for-profit organizations
- Labour unions
- Provincial, territorial and municipal governments
- Indigenous peoples
- Students and youth
- Any other interested Canadians
What will be the focus of free trade consultations?
The Canadian government is interested in hearing about what aspects or elements of NAFTA have worked well for Canadians and should remain as is and where changes or improvements could be desirable.
A Canada Gazette notice on consultations on the renegotiation of the NAFTA provides background information on the NAFTA initiative, and lists areas for which the government is seeking your views. For those who wish to provide their views directly online, complete the consultations form.
How do I participate?
The Government of Canada is seeking the views of all interested Canadians. There are different ways you can participate in these consultations:
- Provide a written submission in response to the Canada Gazette Notice until July 18, 2017, using one of these options:
- Send your submission by email: NAFTA-Consultations-ALENA@international.gc.ca
- Or mail to:
Global Affairs Canada
Trade Negotiations – North America (TNP)
Lester B. Pearson Building
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
- Complete the online consultation form on the renegotiation of NAFTA.
- Participate in a consultation event. A list of upcoming and past consultation activities will be made available as events are confirmed.
Print this page
May 11, 2022