Ontario and Quebec deem plumbing and HVAC/R essential services
March 24, 2020 | By HPAC Magazine
The list of essential services released by both provinces includes construction activities and maintenance services.
To limit spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19, on Monday, March 23, the provinces of Ontario and Quebec announced they are mandating workplace shut downs of non-essential services for two weeks, beginning midnight, Tuesday, March 25. Listed among the exempted essential services posted by each province are plumbing and HVAC/R services for maintenance and construction operations.
The list of essential services released by both provinces are extensive. Listed below are sections of significance for the plumbing and HVAC/R industries.
The Ontario list of essential workplaces, includes:
Institutional, Residential, Commercial and Industrial Maintenance
- Businesses that provide support and maintenance services, including urgent repair, to maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial industrial and residential properties and buildings, including, property management services, plumbers, electricians, custodial/janitorial workers, cleaning services, , security services, fire safety and sprinkler systems, building systems maintenance and repair technicians and engineers, mechanics, (e.g. HVAC, escalator and elevator technicians), and other service providers who provide similar services.
And in the supply chain category:
- Businesses that supply other essential businesses or essential services with the support, supplies, systems or services, including processing, packaging, distribution, delivery and maintenance necessary to operate;
And broadly the construction category includes:
- Construction projects and services associated with the healthcare sector, including new facilities, expansions, renovations and conversion of spaces that could be repurposed for health care space;
- Construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operations of critical provincial infrastructure, including transit, transportation, energy and justice sectors beyond the day-to-day maintenance;
- Construction work and services, including demolition services, in the industrial, commercial, institutional and residential sectors;
- Construction work and services that supports health and safety environmental rehabilitation projects
In Quebec, the list of essential services includes:
In the construction sector:
- electricians, plumbers and other trades for emergency services;
Building maintenance services, including:
- building-maintenance firms (elevators, ventilation, alarms, and so on).
Companies in these provinces should consult provincial authorities for any further details.